Whether it’s a Dutch oven, skillet, or griddle pan, cast iron’s super-tough construction and ability to create an even level of heat makes it a firm favorite with home cooks and professional chefs alike.
However, in order for cast iron to retain its superior performance, it needs to be maintained. You might already be seasoning your cast iron, but this only maintains its nonstick capabilities. You also need to maintain the shape of the cooking surface.
If you don’t, your cast iron cookware will soon start showing bumps and lumps (known as high spots) and these will seriously affect the quality of your cooking. It will also create an uneven surface, and this means that the heat won’t be distributed across your cookware as evenly.
So, just how do you do this? It’s easier than you think. All you have to do is make sure you’re using the correct type of spatula for cast iron. But, with so many to choose from, how can you tell which is the best?
Don’t panic! We’ve done the hard work for you. Below, you’ll find a list of the best spatulas for cast iron. We’ve also put together a super-useful buyer’s guide that is packed with information on what to look out for when you’re making your decision.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
Let’s get things started by taking a look at our top pick. Offering you a choice of five different spatulas, this Stainless Steel Spatula Set from Cuisinart is ideal for cooking various recipes while keeping your cast iron in great condition. Talk about excellent value for money!
The entire set comprises two long spatulas, one round-shoulder spatula, one tapered-shoulder spatula, and one dual-purpose chopping spatula. The two long spatulas feature serrated edges that are ideal for cutting and chopping food directly in the pan.
One of them also features slots that allow you fat and grease to drain back into the pan before serving.
Each of the spatulas in this set has edges that are specially designed to slide under food for easier release while simultaneously smoothing the cooking surface. Meanwhile, the beveled edges make it easier than ever to flip and turn food.
All of the spatulas contained in this set feature ergonomic handles to provide a comfortable grip. They won’t absorb any grease while you’re cooking either, so you can rest assured that you’ll always have a secure grip on them.
- Excellent value for money - a set of five spatulas including two long spatulas, one round-shoulder spatula, one tapered-shoulder spatula, and one dual-purpose chopping spatula
- Serrated edges - the two long spatulas feature a serrated edge for cutting and chopping food directly in the pan
- Smoothes the cooking surface - each spatula has specially designed edges that smooth the cast iron surface as you cook
- Ergonomic, non-absorbent handles - offer you a comfortable, secure grip at all times
- Dishwasher safe - makes cleaning up after you’ve finished cooking quick and easy
- Heavy - some people found that these spatulas were heavier than they expected, so they may not be the best choice for somebody looking for something lighter in weight
As you might have guessed, this Set of 3 Professional Spatulas from Anmarko comprises three different types of spatula. This includes one long spatula, one grill-top flat spatula, and one griddle scraper.
Each of the spatulas included in this set is made from professional-grade stainless steel and is totally food-safe. They also feature ergonomic plastic handles that offer you a comfortable, secure grip while you’re cooking. They have been balanced as well to ensure further comfort.
Each spatula features refined edges that are designed to help smooth out the surface of your cast iron and stop any high spots from forming over time. They all have one beveled edge too, making it easy to flip and chop food directly in the pan.
Another fantastic thing about this set of 3 spatulas is that they are dishwasher safe, making it easier than ever to clean up when you’re done. And, to make life even easier, the griddle scraper has a list of measurement equivalents printed on it. This means no more rushing for your phone when you need to know how many milliliters there are in one cup!
- Set of three spatulas - includes one long spatula, one grill-top flat spatula, and a griddle scraper
- Ergonomic handles - offers you a comfortable, secure grip while you’re cooking
- Weighted and balanced - provides further stability and comfort
- Beveled & refined edges - smooths out the cooking surface and makes it easier to flip or chop food in the pan
- Easy to clean - can be put straight in the dishwasher for ultimate convenience
- Handles aren’t heat proof - this means that could become hot to the touch or even melt if left unattended in the pan
This Professional-Grade Stainless Steel Spatula from MANNKITCHEN has been specifically designed for use with cast iron cookware. It’s incredibly durable, comfortable to use, and, most importantly, will help you maintain that super-reliable cooking surface.
The precision-beveled edge makes it easy to slide underneath food for easy release and to chop food directly in the pan. This spatula’s innovative design also eliminates flex, so you’ll be able to create mouth-watering smash burgers while retaining strength.
Since there’s less flex in the blade, you’ll be able to efficiently smooth out the cooking surface and prevent any high spots from forming over time.
This spatula’s handle is made from a single piece of hardwood, allowing for a comfortable and secure grip. It also won’t absorb any heat coming from the pan, and it won’t melt when rested on the side of your pan either.
As if that wasn’t enough, the 420 stainless steel construction means that the blade is both corrosion resistant and rust-resistant. If you’re looking for a super durable spatula that will stand the test of time and help you maintain your cast iron cookware, this is an excellent choice.
- Designed specifically for cast iron - ideal for maintaining the cooking surface of cast iron pans, skillets, griddles, and Dutch ovens
- Beveled-edge - makes it easy to flip food and chop directly in the pan
- Minimizes flex - helps create smash burgers and makes scraping the pan easier
- Highly durable - made from 420 stainless steel that is rust-resistant and corrosion-resistant
- Hardwood handle - won’t melt or retain heat when left in the pan
- Hand wash only - as the handle of this spatula is made from wood, it cannot be placed in the dishwasher for cleaning
While using metal spatulas on cast iron cookware is absolutely fine, some people may still have reservations about it. If you fall into this category, the DI ORO 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set is an ideal choice. This set comprises a standard spatula, a round turner, and a long turner.
To begin with, they are heat resistant up to 600ºF. This means there’s no risk of them melting if they’re left in the pan, and they won’t accidentally burn you as they don’t absorb heat. They are also made from BPA-free, FDA-approved silicone that is non-stick and 100% safe for use in cooking.
Unlike a lot of other, flimsier spatulas, each of the spatulas contained in this set is built to last. They feature DI ORO’s patented S-Core Internal Stainless Steel Support Technology to anchor the head in place. So, there’s no need to worry about them falling apart, even when you’re flipping something heavy!
They are dishwasher safe, making them incredibly easy to clean. And, unlike wooden alternatives, these silicone spatulas won’t crack or split when they get wet. This means that there’s no risk of bacteria building up in them over time.
- Made from silicone - a great alternative for anybody concerned about using metal spatulas on cast iron
- Set of three - includes one standard spatula, one round turner, and one long turner
- Heat resistant up to 600ºF - no chance of melting if left unattended in the pan
- S-Core Stainless Steel Support Technology - ensures strength and durability by keeping all parts of the spatula locked together
- Dishwasher safe - makes it easy to clean and sterilize the spatulas after cooking
- No beveled edges - takes longer to smooth out the surface of your cast iron cookware
This Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Turner from Chef Craft is strong, tough, and capable of handling any cooking task that you throw at it. It’s also rust-resistant and corrosion-resistant, so there’s no need to worry about grease or water damaging it over time.
It features a thin angled edge that makes it easier to slide under food for flipping. Its 13-inch length means that you’ll be able to flip for a good distance too, so there’s less chance of hot oil or fat splashing any burning you.
The ergonomic plastic handle is lightweight and comfortable while providing you with a secure grip. It’s also constructed without any welding points to give it some extra strength. This is ideal when you’re flipping burgers or heavier ingredients.
When you’ve finished cooking, you can simply place this spatula in the dishwasher for super convenient cleaning. And, despite all of these fantastic features, it cost a fraction of the price of most other spatulas. This makes it a great choice for anybody working with a limited budget.
- Durable- made from rust-resistant and corrosion-resistant stainless steel
- Thin-angled edge - makes it easier to flip food and helps to smooth out the cooking surface of cast iron cookware
- Measures 13” long - allows you to keep a safe distance from hot oils and fats while still working with dexterity
- Ergonomic plastic handle - provides a comfortable, lightweight, secure grip
- Easy to clean - simply put it in the dishwasher with the rest of your dirty pans and crockery when you’re finished cooking
- No beveled edge - while this spatula is great for flipping food, it doesn’t have a beveled edge so you won’t be able to cut or chop food already in the pan
Best Spatula for Cast Iron Buying Guide
Choosing a surf helmet is an important decision. As a surfer, you have to be able to put full confidence into the product, as ultimately, your safety will be depending on it. The ideal helmet will, of course, vary from one surfer to another, depending on performance level, age and size.
This being said, there is a basic criteria in which every safety helmet should satisfy. Below, we have put together a small guide of the sorts of factors you should be considering when looking for the perfect, protective surfing helmet.
It may seem like there isn’t too much you need to think about when you’re buying a spatula. But, while this may be true for standard pots and pans, cast iron needs something that will help maintain its performance. Any old spatula simply won’t do!
Below, we’ll take a look at some of the key points you need to keep in mind when you’re shopping for a spatula to use on cast iron.
From the material it’s made of to the shape of its edges, taking the time to give these things a little extra thought will help you find the best spatula for cast iron the first time around.
The first thing you need to think about is what material you’d like the blade of your spatula to be made from. There is a common misconception that metal cannot be used on cast iron as it will scratch the surface. But, in actual fact, it’s one of the best materials to go for.
Metal spatulas (such as those made from stainless steel) will gently scrape the cooking surface while you cook. As they do this, they will smooth it out and stop any high spots from forming. In turn, you’re able to ensure your cast iron has an even level of heat distribution.
Spatulas with metal blades are generally stronger as well, so they are ideal for creating smash burgers or flipping heavier ingredients like steak or chicken breasts.
If you’re really not keen on the idea of using metal on your cast iron cookware, silicone would be the next best option. This is strong, BPA-free, and will allow you to cook without any fear of plastic chemicals leaching into your food.
One thing to be aware of when choosing a silicone spatula, however, is that it will take a longer time to smooth out your cooking surface. This is because, although it’s strong, it doesn’t have as much scraping strength as metal.
The next thing to think about is the handle of your chosen spatula. You have a few choices here, and each comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.
Plastic, ergonomically designed handles are the most common type of handle you’ll find when looking for a spatula. These offer a secure, comfortable grip. They are also unlikely to absorb any fat or grease while you’re cooking, so there is less chance of the spatula slipping out of your hands.
However, plastic handles are susceptible to burning or melting if they are left unattended in the pan. So, if you think plastic is the best choice, you’ll need to remember to use a spoon rest while you’re cooking!
Wooden handles are also strong and comfortable. Unlike plastic handles, they are highly unlikely to melt if they are left in the pan. However, most wooden handles cannot be cleaned in a dishwasher as they will warp and split. This leaves them open to potential bacterial build-up.
Metal handles are sturdy and they won’t melt if they’re left balancing on the side of a pan. However, they do absorb heat. This means there is an increased chance of accidentally burning yourself when you pick the spatula up.
There are loads of different designs to choose from when you’re picking a spatula to use with cast iron. But did you know that these designs actually serve a purpose?
Spatulas that feature beveled edges make it easier to slide the spatula underneath your food while you’re cooking. They will simultaneously scrape the cooking surface and smooth it out, helping to maintain your cast iron without even trying. Beveled edges can also be used to chop and cut food that’s already in the pan.
Some spatulas have perforations cut into them. These allow you to lift food from the pan and drain away any excess fat or grease before you plate it up.
There are even rectangular spatulas that look nothing like a traditional spatula. These are also fantastic for smoothing the cooking surface of your cast iron cookware. They are also really great at loosening any burnt-on food that’s stuck to the pan.
Finally, it’s a good idea to look at how easy your chosen spatula will be to clean. Most are dishwasher safe which doesn’t only provide ultimate convenience but allows you to sterilize the spatula after use.
However, not all spatulas are dishwasher safe so it’s essential that you check this first. If not, you could find cracked or split handles. Even worse, you might find that your spatula has fallen apart completely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to use a metal spatula on cast iron?
Yes, absolutely! There is a common misconception that using metal utensils on cast iron will scratch and damage the surface.
However, what actually happens when you use a metal spatula with cast iron is the cooking surface gets smoothed out over time. This reduces the chances of high spots forming and ensures you get an even level of heat distributed across your cookware at all times.